Prep Time: 25min | Bake Time: 40min + 20min | Cool Time: 20min + 30min
Yield: 24 biscotti
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temp
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ¼ cups pastry flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup milk or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup slivered or whole almonds, blanched
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a heavy duty cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips and almonds.
- Shape dough into one large, flat log approximately 18 inches long by 8 inches diameter. Place log on baking sheet, and flatten out to about 3/4" thickness. Brush with the beaten egg white.
- Bake in the
preheated oven until edges are golden and the center is firm, about 35 to 40
minutes, rotating the pan once during baking. Remove from oven to cool on the pans for about 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for second baking.
- When loaf is cool enough to handle, use a serrated knife to slice into 1/2" thick slices. Return the slices to the baking sheet, spread apart from one another by 1/4".
- Bake in reduced heat oven about 15-20 minutes, or until they start to turn light brown on the edges. Cool completely, and store in an airtight container at room temperature.